DSCheck Maintenance Assistant is designed to facilitate the process of running dscheck commands on a XenApp server. The tool provides a graphical user interface for dscheck.exe that the XenApp administrators can use to clean and validate their datastore.
- Install .NET Framework 2.0 or later
- log on as a user with Local Administrative privileges
Installing DSCheck Maintenance Assistant
DSCheck Maintenance Assistant is a standalone application. You need not install the application; also you can run the application from any folder local on the XenApp server.
How to Use DSCheck Maintenance Assistant
The DSCheck Maintenance Assistant can be divided in the following three parts:
- Core Farm Records
- Secondary Farm Records
- Farm Printer records.
There is a single validation option to do a simple check on your datastore. Following is a description of each option. Each option selected also presents you with a disclaimer that is typically displayed when using the dscheck.exe from the command line
The option Validate Datastore verifies and displays inconsistencies in all records except for groups. This is a good option to do a quick review of your datastore to look for inconsistencies. If you find any inconsistencies, reference the type, if its application or server or other and then browse to the option referenced to review more in-depth records.
Core Farm Records
Each option is self-explanatory. Running any of the Check options reveals a second window with the data selected. Following is a description of each option. One main difference from using the command line compared to the DSCheck Maintenance Assistant, is to copy and paste the data out of the screen without having to pipe it out to a text file, you also have options to copy, paste select all, and to save the data to a text file or a csv file. The data is presented in a selected format to be able to quickly copy and paste as an option. Following is a sample image:
The Clean options open a second window that offers secondary options for the clean function. The Clean Folder Records is the only option that does not have a second window as there is only one option available.
Clean Server Records
The Server Entries offers two options:
- Clean Server Farm Records, this option does a clean command and removes any entries that may show invalid from the Check Server Records option.
- Delete Server from Datastore, this option allows you to input the hostname of the server you wish to remove from the datastore.
Clean Application Record
The Application Entries window offers two options:
- Clean Application Records, this option does a clean command and removes any entries that may show invalid from the Check Application Records option.
- The Delete Application from Datastore, this option allows you to input the application name of the server you wish to remove from the datastore.
Clean Group Record
The Group Entries offers two options:
- Clean Group Name, in this option you can input a group UID or DN and remove it from the datastore record. You can find invalid UID’s when you run the Check Group Records option on the main window of the application.
- The Delete Invalid Admin, in this option you can select if you see any invalid entries in the Check Group Records it removes invalid custom admin from Permissions list of the groups.
Secondary Farm Records
Secondary Farm records are records that are not primary to the function of XenApp Datastore but can cause issues if inconsistencies are present. Some of these options have a secondary window with more options to select.
Some self-explanatory options that do not have secondary windows for example: Check Admin Tool Records, Clean Admin Tool records, and Check HotfixFolder Records. There is a brief description of these options below:
The Check Admin Tool Records option looks for duplicate admin capability records in the datastore, the Clean Admin Tool Records option removes all duplicate Citrix administrator Presentation Server Console capabilities with the smallest number of AdminCapEvents from the data store. The Check HotfixFolder Records option verifies that there are not any orphaned hotfix records in the data store. We will cover the clean and check that contain a secondary window option.
Check MS License Records
Once you select the Check MS License Records, a second window with two options is displayed:
- List Microsoft Licenses In Datastore, this option allows you to view any MS licenses that have been written into the datastore.
- Purge Microsoft Licenses from Datastore, this option purges stored client access licenses assigned to clients running non-Windows operating systems.
Check Farm FTA’s
Once you select the Check Farm FTA’s option, a second window with five options is displayed:
- List Duplicate FTA Records, this option lists any duplicate file type association entries.
- Delete Duplicate FTA Records, this option removes any duplicate file type association entries.
- Delete All FTA’s Not Associated With An Application, this option deletes all file type objects not associated with any application from the data store.
- Delete Application FTA, this option removes all file types for a specified application.
- Delete FTA Extensions, this option permanently removes the specified extensions from the datastore. Extensions typed in this format .xxx, .yyy
Clean Hotfix Folder Records
Once you have selected the Clean Hotfix Folder Records, a second window with two options is displayed:
- View Server UID List, this option verifies that there are not any orphaned hotfix records in the data store.
- Remove Invalid Hotfix Entries, this option removes hotfix records for servers that do not exist in the farm from the data store.
Farm Printer Records
The Farm Printer Records option purges printer-related information from the datastore. The printer records option offers six different purging options for printer-related records.
- Purge Driver Replication, this option removes all printer replications from the data store. If you are using replication for your farm and are not encountering any driver issues, do not use this option as it will wipe your replication information from your datastore.
- Purge Client Printers, this option removes all client autocreated printers pending deletion from the data store.
- Purge Printer Drivers, this option removes all drivers that are not associated with any servers or session printer policies from the data store.
- Purge Global Driver Catalog, this option removes duplicate objects in the Global Driver Catalog
- Purge Network Printers, this option removes all network printers that are not associated with any valid network servers
- Purge Driver Security, this option removes duplicate objects in the Driver Compatibility List.
Uninstalling DSCheck Maintenance Assistant
DSCheck Maintenance Assistant is a standalone application. Uninstallation of any application is not needed. The .EXE file must be deleted.
Questions? Concerns? Send any feedback for this tool to email@example.com.
These software applications are provided to you as is with no representations, warranties or conditions of any kind. You may use and distribute it at your own risk. CITRIX DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, WRITTEN, ORAL OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you acknowledge and agree that (a) the software application may exhibit errors, design flaws or other problems, possibly resulting in loss of data or damage to property; (b) it may not be possible to make the software application fully functional; and (c) Citrix may, without notice or liability to you, cease to make available the current version and/or any future versions of the software application. In no event should the code be used to support of ultra-hazardous activities, including but not limited to life support or blasting activities. NEITHER CITRIX NOR ITS AFFILIATES OR AGENTS WILL BE LIABLE, UNDER BREACH OF CONTRACT OR ANY OTHER THEORY OF LIABILITY, FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER ARISING FROM USE OF THE SOFTWARE APPLICATION, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, CONSEQUENTIAL OR OTHER DAMAGES, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. You agree to indemnify and defend Citrix against any and all claims arising from your use, modification or distribution of the code.