Who Should Install This Hotfix?
This is a hotfix for customers running Citrix XenServer 6.0.2. This is the first part of a two component fix, please install CTX132824 - Hotfix XS602E002 - For XenServer 6.0.2 after installing this hotfix.
Issue Resolved In This Hotfix
This hotfix is issued to improve the update functionality to support the deployment of new and enhanced versions of the XenServer Tools. Currently, Virtual Machines (VMs) with out of date XenServer Tools, may not be flagged as "out of date" in XenCenter. This hotfix resolves this issue and enables customers to be notified in XenCenter when new XenServer Tools are available.
NOTE: The attachment to this article is a zip file. It contains both the hotfix update package, and the source code for any modified open source components. The source code is not necessary for hotfix installation: it is provided to fulfil licensing obligations.
Installing the Hotfix
Customers can use either XenCenter or the XenServer Command Line Interface (CLI) to install this update. As with any software update, please back up your data before applying this hotfix. Citrix recommends updating all hosts within a pool sequentially. Upgrading of hosts should be scheduled to minimize the amount of time the pool runs in a a mixed state where some hosts have been upgraded and some have not. Running a mixed pool of updated and non-updated hosts for general operation is not supported.
NOTE: To minimise hotfix application time, specifically to avoid host reboot and VM migrations while applying this hotfix, customers should follow the instructions for installing the update using the XenServer CLI.
Installing the update using XenCenter
Note: The XenCenter controlled upgrade process reboots each host sequentially starting with the Pool Master. Where possible VMs will be migrated to other running hosts to avoid VM downtime. When the Pool Master is being rebooted, XenCenter will be unable to monitor the pool.
- Download the update to a known location on a computer that has XenCenter installed.
- In XenCenter, on the Tools menu, select Install New Update. This displays the Install Update wizard.
- Click Next to start the Wizard.
- Click Add... to upload a new update.
- Browse to the location where you downloaded the hotfix, select it, and then click Open.
- From the list of updates select XS602E001.update and then click Next.
- Select the hosts you wish to apply the hotfix to, and then click Next.
- Follow the recommendations to resolve any upgrade prechecks.
- Click Install to start the installation.
Installing the update using the XenServer CLI
- Download the update to a known location on a computer that has the XenServer CLI or XenCenter installed.
- Extract the xsupdate file from the zip.
- If using Windows, start a Command Prompt and navigate to the XenCenter directory, for example:
- Upload the xsupdate file to the Pool Master by entering the following commands:
(Where hostname is the Pool Master's IP address or DNS name.)
xe patch-upload -sXenServer assigns the update file a UUID which this command prints. Note the UUID.
<hostname>-u root -pw
- Apply the hotfix to all hosts in the pool, specifying the UUID of the hotfix:
xe patch-pool-apply uuid=
- Verify that the update was applied by using the patch-list command.
xe patch-list -sIf the update has been successful, the hosts field will contain the UUIDs of the hosts this patch was successfully applied to. This should be a complete list of all hosts in the pool. For example:
<hostname>-u root -pw
- The hotfix is applied to all hosts in the pool, but it will not take effect until the toolstack is reloaded on all hosts. In XenCenter, on the console of each host in the pool, enter the following:
- To verify in XenCenter that the update has been applied correctly, select the Pool, and then click the General tab. This displays the Pool properties. In the Updates section, ensure that the update is listed as Fully applied.
cd C:\Program files\Citrix\XenCenter
uuid ( RO) : 68276dea-a818-4970-af93-3e43cb37b426
name-label ( RO): XS602E001
name-description ( RO): Public Availability: Mark VMs with old PV drivers as out-of-date
size ( RO): 7453630
hosts (SRO): 92438ada-5d2f-45aa-bea7-4ff3beeb0d4a, cee0bfff-e8be-414b-ab0b-42fdd03a4872
after-apply-guidance (SRO): restartXAPI
Note: When this command is run on the Pool Master, XenCenter will lose connection to the pool. Wait 30 seconds after losing connection, and then reconnect manually.
|Hotfix File md5sum||03f4d2106dbab97815eb65030fae1e7a|
|Hotfix Source File Name||XS602E001-src-pkgs.tar.bz2|
|Hotfix Source File md5sum||43af704b09f45dd44d73d6f212497d31|
|Hotfix Zip Filename||XS602E001.zip|
|Hotfix Zip File md5sum||5bd9d51f9f60b4a047af2152873ade64|