Who Should Install This Hotfix?
This is a hotfix for customers running Citrix XenServer 6.0.
IMPORTANT: Any issued driver disk and the Driver Development Kit (DDK) for XenServer 6.0 must be updated to be compatible with this hotfix. See CTX131824 - Driver Disks for XenServer Hotfix XS60E003 for a list of the affected driver disks that must be updated.
Issues Resolved In This Hotfix
Three issues are resolved in this hotfix:
- Significant performance reductions may be experienced when sending VLAN traffic via the Open vSwitch.
- A XenServer host may timeout and an EIO error may be displayed when attempting to use Network File System (NFS). This is due to a race condition in NFS, visible on 10 GB networks, that causes Dom0 to shut down TCP connections, coupled with a bug in certain NFS servers which do not cleanly handle the unexpected shutdown.
- Rebooting Dom0 may result in the loss of initial contents of the kernel console ring for bootup.
This hotfix resolves all of these issues.
Installing the Hotfix
Customers should use either XenCenter or the XenServer Command Line Interface (CLI) to install this update. Once the update has installed, the server must be restarted for it to take effect. As with any software update, please back up your data before applying this hotfix. Citrix recommends updating all hosts within a pool sequentially. Upgrading of hosts should be scheduled to minimize the amount of time the pool runs in a ??????mixed state?????? where some hosts have been upgraded and some have not. Running a mixed pool of updated and non-updated hosts for general operation is not supported.
NOTE: The attachment to this article is a zip file. It contains both the hotfix update package, and the source code for any modified open source components. The source code is not necessary for hotfix installation: it is provided to fulfil licensing obligations.
Installing the update using XenCenter
- Download the update to a known location on a computer that has XenCenter installed.
- In XenCenter, on the Tools menu, select Install New Update. This displays the Install Update wizard.
- Click Next to start the Wizard.
- Click Add... to upload a new update.
- Browse to the location where you downloaded the hotfix, select it, and then click Open.
- From the list of updates select XS60E003.update and then click Next.
- Select the hosts you wish to apply the hotfix to, and then click Next.
- Follow the recommendations to resolve any upgrade prechecks.
- Click Install to start the installation.
Note: The XenCenter controlled upgrade process reboots each host sequentially starting with the Pool Master, where possible VMs will be migrated to other running hosts to avoid VM downtime. When the Pool Master is being rebooted, XenCenter will be unable to monitor the pool.
Installing the update using the off-host CLI
- Download the hotfix to a known location on a computer that has the XenServer CLI installed.
- Upload the hotfix to the pool or host you wish to apply it to:
xe -sHere, -s <server> refers to the hostname.
<server>-u root -pw
XenServer assigns the update file a UUID, which this command prints. Note the UUID:
- Apply the hotfix to the pool, specifying the UUID of the hotfix, as given by the upload command in the previous step:
<server>-u root -pw
- Verify that the update was applied by using the patch-list command. If the update has been successful, the hosts field will contain the host UUID.
- The hotfix is applied to all hosts in the pool, but it will not take effect until each host has been rebooted. For each host, migrate the VMs that you wish to keep running, and shutdown the remaining VMs before rebooting the host.
|Hotfix File md5sum||8ece67edf98aa863fafd5bc00ca91bfd|
|Hotfix Source Filename||XS60E003-src-pkgs.tar.bz2|
|Hotfix Source File md5sum||7aa9ea268e3c9ca3266a33f20e6973b8|
|Hotfix Zip Filename||XS60E003.zip|
|Hotfix Zip File md5sum||323eca2e1bee4464b162ebebb0aee942|